About the opportunity
Contentful is looking for a senior director of brand and communications to build awareness of Contentful as a hot, high-growth, Berlin-founded/Bay Area-funded software-as-a-service (SAAS) business that is disrupting the way brands build content-driven digital experiences. You will create a brand story and thought leadership platform that showcases Contentful’s customers, partners and developer ecosystem leveraging the Contentful content platform to become Digital First and Digital Fast businesses. You will build out and drive executive communications for Contentful’s senior executives with a focus on external media (PR/social/digital events). You will also be responsible for building an approach and foundation for internal communications. Finally, you will oversee and evolve the Contentful brand inclusive of the brand strategy, identity and design.
What to expect?
As a communications leader with solid executive presence, exceptional writing and critical thinking skills as well as the ability to work cross-functionally within a broader, integrated marketing communications team, your role will include, but not be limited to:
- Developing a deep subject matter expertise in the content management (CMS) and digital experience (DX) markets and issues that impact our business and our customers and partners businesses as well as the competitive landscape.
- Owning and evolving the Contentful corporate narrative including the messaging from top to bottom encompassing Contentful’s content platform.
- Building and driving a break-through thought leadership strategy that aligns Contentful with key communications pillars and produces measurable results.
- Developing and executing media relations programs cultivating relationships with national business and technology reporters, identifying story ideas, pitching stories and securing coverage.
- Aligning Contentful communications - story, key messages and editorial calendar - across paid, earned and owned channels as a part of an integrated campaign.
- Working with Contentful’s Executive Leadership Team to drive external executive communications in support of building market awareness for the brand.
- Conceptualizing, writing and delivering short-form and long-form content such as articles, blogs, infographics, videos and OpEds.
- Building the Contentful Employer Brand in partnership with the Contentful People Team.
- Proactively planning for and managing crisis communications and issues.
- Managing and developing communications team members and Contentful agency partners and resources.
- Building out a localised communications strategy across our key growth markets.
What you need to be successful?
- BA, or equivalent preferably in: Communications, Business Administration, Journalism or related area.
- 15+ years of communications experience, including technology and issues management. A mix of agency and in-house experience is preferred.
- Strong critical thinking and writing skills as well as the ability to think strategically and creatively while managing multiple issues and projects.
- Experience across a variety of corporate communications disciplines, including strategy work, B2B communications, media relations, issues management/crisis communications, and executive communications.
- Exceptional executive communications skills, including experience and an ability to work effectively with C-Suite.
- Ability to understand and use metrics and analytics to measure success, drive desired outcomes, and inform ongoing optimization and strategy.
- Strong people management and leadership experience and ability to hire, coach and develop talent as well as build a collaborative team.
- Empathy, good emotional intelligence, and cultural sensitivity. Good sense of humor and ability to see work as fun.
What's in it for you?
- Join an ambitious tech company reshaping the way people build digital products
- Health, vision and dental insurance
- Generous time-off policy that rivals the best companies in tech
We set you up for success, equipping you with the latest and greatest hardware
Use your personal education budget to improve your skills and grow in your career, with extra days off
Plus, Contentful socks! Oh yeah!
Who are we?
Contentful powers digital experiences for 28% of the Fortune 500 companies and thousands of global brands. Our content platform unifies content in a single hub, structures it for use in any digital channel and integrates seamlessly with hundreds of tools through open APIs. It lets developers and content creators work in parallel, increasing team efficiency and happiness. Companies such as Spotify, Urban Outfitters, Jack in the Box, The British Museum, Xoom and Lenovo use Contentful to build their mobile and web products, voice controlled apps and more.
We’re growing rapidly and are backed by over $150 million in funding from top-tier venture capital firms like Sapphire Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, General Catalyst and Benchmark.
More than 350 people from 70 nations contribute their energy and creativity to Contentful, working from hubs in Berlin, San Francisco and distributed locations around the world.
“Everyone is welcome here” — it's a celebrated component of our culture. At Contentful, we strive to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees. We believe that our products and services benefit from our diverse backgrounds and experiences and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical [dis]ability or length of time spent unemployed. We look forward to your application!
By clicking “Apply for this job,” I acknowledge that I have read the “Contentful’s Candidate Privacy Notice”, and hereby acknowledge and accept the collection, processing, use, and storage of my personal data as described therein.