At ResearchGate, we connect the world of science and make research open to all.
Accelerating science is what drives us –we've built a platform that gives the world's scientists the tools and services they need to connect, collaborate, and advance their research. Over 17 million members from 193 countries use ResearchGate to share, discover, and discuss research.
Our investors include Bill Gates, Benchmark Capital, Founders Fund, Tenaya Capital, Goldman Sachs, Wellcome Trust and Four Rivers Group.
We are a global company, with clients, users and colleagues from all corners of the world. Our team of 175 people is located at the heart of Berlin, one of the most exciting cities in the world –a place where everyone feels welcome.
Working with us offers you the chance to use your knowledge and technical expertise to change science for the better, and you'll be doing it as part of a dynamic team that hails from all over the globe.
Are you passionate about online advertising technologies and want to make a difference?
Do you want to use your skills and experience to do something great?
As an Architect for Ads at ResearchGate, you will work in a team of specialists whose goal is to leverage the traffic on our platform and offer integrated advertising campaigns solutions to our customers, while enriching the online experience of the researchers by presenting them with content targeted to their specific interests. Put your creative problem-solving and technical skills into action and make a positive impact on science and society.
Your responsibilities in this role would include:
• Assume ownership and responsibility for your technical area and continuously improve it by anticipating the industry trends
• Own build vs. buy decisions when it comes to ad technology
• Cooperate and coordinate with other Technical Leaders, Product Managers, Ad Ops, go-to-market teams (Direct Sales, Mid-Market, Programmatic) and relevant stakeholders to define, develop and execute a clear technical strategy to set ResearchGate up for the future and achieve collective objectives within agreed upon timeline
• Support evaluating feasibility of validated product solutions
• Manage relationships with third-party providers together with your Engineering Manager and Product Lead
• Provide technical leadership, influence, partner with and help develop fellow Technical Leaders in the online advertising area to architect, design and build robust solutions that withstands scale and availability while reducing operational overhead
• Increase speed of development for ad products through advising on the right approaches to build solutions
• Support with coaching of technical ICs (Ad Ops, Software Engineers) to ensure that knowledge and expertise is best in class
• Support in the hiring of new talents with ad tech industry experience
• Work with highly skilled cross-functional software development teams in an agile development process
To be successful in the role of Architect for Ads at ResearchGate you should bring:
• 5+ years of experience designing, building, integrating and monitoring technical solutions for online advertising (ad server, DMP, programmatic, analytics, CMP, emails)
• Strong experience in software engineering and software architecture
• Deep knowledge of Google Ad Manager
• Experience in a company where advertising is a main revenue stream
• Advanced targeting concepts, such as retargeting and look-a-like audiences
• Strong analytical skills, including the ability to define problems, collect & analyze data and generate valuable insights
• - Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
• Very good command of spoken and written English
• Experience with content marketing
• Know-how of NoSQL databases (MongoDB, HBase), relational databases and query authoring (SQL)
• Design and operation of robust distributed systems using technologies like Kafka, Hadoop, Hive, and Flink
• Experience in designing and implementing data pipelines and ML applications
• Experience with agile product-development processes
• You excel at communicating objectives as well as complex technical concepts
• You are a natural at consensus building and rapid decision making in technology assessments
• You work proactively to structure and organize your projects
• You enjoy working with great people in an open-office environment
• You understand our mission and want to help us achieve it