We're looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our growing US engineering team.
At SumUp, small business owners are at the heart of everything we do. That’s why we create powerful, easy-to-use financial solutions to help them run their businesses. With merchants in over 31 countries using SumUp to accept payments, we’re building the first-ever global card acceptance brand. Using a founder’s mentality and a “team-first” attitude, our teams across Europe, South America and the United States work together to ensure that small business owners can be successful doing what they love.
Our goal is to make SumUp the #1 way for small businesses to accept payments in the US. As a Senior Software Engineer on the US engineering team, you will be part of growing a new engineering organization from the very early stages. This is a highly collaborative role, and the ideal candidate will be able to work closely with a wide variety of stakeholders, technical and non-technical, across several teams (and timezones).
SumUp is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices. The salary range for this position in Boulder, CO is $130,000 to $180,000. Compensation will be finalized by candidate’s relevant work experience, skills, certifications and geographic location.
This position is remote-optional, but we're mostly colocated in the Boulder office and offer a generous relocation to beautiful Colorado. We can only hire US Residents at this time.
Here's how you'll fit into our US Engineering team:
- We work with teams across the engineering and product organization at SumUp. We have a few areas that we spend the most time in: US Merchant Experience, US Core Payments Infrastructure, New Market Expansion, and US Loonshots (big bets). That means you could be working on launching a new country one month, and building new core payments features the next. We like to hire generalists, and then find the best place for you over time. We also prioritize learning new skills, so you'll get the chance to work on lots of different projects if you want to.
- We work with a light project management structure: kanban, a weekly engineering meeting, daily stand-ups. Everyone is empowered to decide what to work on to create the biggest impact, and they're also responsible for getting feedback from users, testing, and monitoring once it's live.
Things we value most in our Senior Software Engineers:
- Clean, maintainable, peer-reviewed code. Other engineers should use your work as a standard for excellence.
- Help with hiring, coaching and mentoring other engineers.
- Ability to guide the development, deployment, and maintenance of small, focused services within a distributed architecture.
- Ability to work directly with Product Managers, Engineering Managers, and others across different tribes and squads.
- Taking ownership of legacy services which have outlasted their original implementations, through refactoring, migration, and rethinking of architectural design.
- Making our engineers and engineering systems more effective with processes that allow us to ship quicker, fail faster, and isolate the blast radius of changes.
- A curious, passionate, and growth-oriented mindset about technology
- Led impactful engineering projects at a non-trivial scale
- A desire to teach, improve, and multiply the strengths of engineers around you
- Experience working with one or more of: Ruby, Golang, Elixir/Erlang
- Experience with micro-service based architecture
- 5+ years experience contributing to and leading engineering projects
Bonus points for:
- Familiarity with React and/or Rails
- Experience building and deploying to cloud infrastructure
Some of our technology:
- Erlang/Elixir, Phoenix
- Ruby, Rails
Why you should join SumUp:
- Be part of a welcoming community of more than 2,000 people from over 52 nationalities (we're a big startup!)
- Over 30 days of paid vacation and holidays
Meaningful equity in a fast-growing fintech unicorn (Virtual Shares Program with an internal marketplace)
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance and company-paid life insurance
- Employer paid long-term disability
- 401K Retirement Plan (up to 3.5% employer matching when you elect to contribute up to 6%)
$2300 per engineer per year for education and training (books, courses, conferences, etc.)
100% paid parental leave (up to 8 weeks)
1 month paid sabbatical for every three years you're with SumUp
- Company-paid team off-sites -- this year it's a week in Berlin!
- Free on-site refreshments, snacks, and drinks in our beautiful Boulder office
- Fun company outings, team events, birthday lunches, weekly breakfast, yoga, happy hours, hikes, etc.
SumUp encourages you to apply even if you don’t meet all requirements for the position. SumUp believes in supporting candidates and employees throughout their career journey so we encourage you to apply. SumUp is committed to a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace.
We believe in the everyday hero.
Small business owners are at the heart of all we do, so we create powerful, easy-to-use financial solutions to help them run their businesses. With a founder’s mentality and a 'team-first’ attitude, our diverse teams across Europe, South America and the United States work together to ensure that the small business owners we partner with can be successful doing what they love.
SumUp is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. SumUp does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, colour, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other basis protected by applicable laws or prohibited by company policy. SumUp also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind.
SumUp will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate.