sennder is a European digital freight forwarder looking for Senior Backend Engineers to join our cross functional engineering teams. The roles are based out of the Berlin office (flexible remote options) and will report to one of our Engineering Managers. Do you want to help us shape the future of the logistics industry?
We value humility and we're as interested in your character as we are in your talent. Please apply, even if you feel you only meet part of our listed criteria. Diversity drives innovation and we offer an international and friendly work environment with an energetic company culture. Just be yourself and maybe you’ll bring something valuable to the role we didn't initially think of.
With our HQ in Berlin but with 7 locations, we're Europe's leading road logistics tech company connecting our fleet of thousands of trucks to shippers such as Amazon, Coca Cola & Volkswagen. The challenges are huge, many processes in the industry are still very manual and inefficient, so for the first time we’re solving this by digitalising, automating and introducing green and sustainability initiatives, with the goal of creating an industry wide digital solution. We've grown from 200 > 900 people since the start of COVID-19 and our Series D 160m round has allowed us to accelerate our growth beyond unicorn status. We're continuing to scale into a more mature tech org and tick off milestones in our exciting roadmap to IPO. We also announced our acquisition of Uber Freight late last year, further cementing our strong industry standing.
We're looking to hire a number of BE Python engineers at all levels of experience to help us migrate the remains of our Django monolith to a more modular architecture and microservices. Our tech org is now 200 engineers strong. We work in small and inclusive cross functional teams (6-10 ppl) that support, enable and trust each other. You'll have the autonomy to own real "problem spaces" and deliver impactful tech solutions. Our DevOps culture means that you own your entire infrastructure end-to-end, supported by our dedicated platform team.
Our current stack includes - Python 3, FastAPI, PostgreSQL+SQLAlchemy, AWS, Kafka, Django, K8s.
Get to know us, our culture, green business, funding history, and more on our blog here.
In this role you will
- Scale up our engineering organization, we have a lot of ideas and we are looking for people to evolve our backend, DevOps, and engineering practices to support the growth and work in many autonomous teams. We welcome new ideas!
- Prototype and build new features, update existing ones, and fix bugs.
- Participate in migrating our Django monolith to modular architecture and microservices,
- Participate in growing a solid microservice architecture, we are in the process of introducing service mesh, stable interfaces, and contracts for API, metrics, etc.,
- We will do our best to help you grow professionally, provide you with mentorship and feedback.
Preferably you are
You have a good practical experience (5+ years) building backends with the Python web ecosystem. We use Django REST Framework, FastAPI, SQLAlchemy.
You can talk to SQL databases. We use Postgres in our monolith and microservices.
- You learned how to build modern APIs. For example, you worked with REST, GraphQL. and documented them with OpenAPI (Swagger).
- You keep growing your knowledge of different architectures, patterns, and programming paradigms,
- Practical skills with Docker, Kubernetes, and modern CI/CD,
- Good communication skills in English.
We expect you to
- Be mindful about your craft, “keep your saw sharp”, learn ways to improve your work, processes, and remove mundane routine by scripting and automation,
- Be passionate about doing great work, and pragmatic about getting things done
- Be driven by data, build small prototypes to test assumptions, and do not buy into the latest hype and shiny labels. Linus Torvalds once said: ”Talking is cheap. Show me the code.”
- Be a decent human being. Be willing to help other people, share your expertise, and mentor.
What you can expect
- A fast-growing company, transitioning from startup to scale-up, where your work will make an impact on our growth and lead to several career opportunities.
- Compensation consisting of base salary, annual bonus and equity options
- An international team of 900+ people with 65+ nationalities spread across 8 country offices with English as our company language.
A quarterly feedback and review process for personal development. We also use “Objectives and Key Results” for company goals.
- A structured promotion process, providing everyone with fair and transparent career growth.
- Learning and development opportunities on the job and through conversations with your manager.
- Various opportunities to connect with colleagues, formally and informally, digitally or in person (when allowed), through regular team events, company get-togethers, and partnership events with other companies and local organizers.
- When in office: unlimited snacks, drinks, and fruits.
- Compliance with COVID-19 restrictions when required with remote interviews, onboarding, and working.
At sennder, we want to maximize the individual’s potential for all employees and reinforce an inclusive culture and environment of continuous learning that empowers people to succeed as a team. In addition to humility, we value commitment, team spirit, respect, and kindness to build trusted relationships across teams. Learn more on our career site.