Staff Backend Engineer
sennder is a European digital freight forwarder looking for a Lead Software Engineer/Architect to join one of our core Business Areas. The role is based out of our new office in Barcelona (flexible remote options), and will report to our Engineering Director. Do you want to help us shape the future of the logistics industry?
As a Technical Lead you will work within one of our core business areas which each have multiple cross functional teams which you’ll embed with. You’ll drive our Python focused modular architectural vision and technical direction, building out roadmaps to increase team velocity and output whilst coaching, teaching and growing our engineers. Reporting to an Engineering Director, you’ll be seen as the Technical Decision Maker for the whole business area and will be given lots of autonomy. Strong leadership skills are a must.
We value strong engineering skills, deep understanding of business, full ownership, high velocity, collaboration, and initiative.
sennder is Europe’s leading digital freight forwarder at the intersection of where technology meets logistics. Through our proprietary transportation operating system, built by our in-house tech teams, we not only connect shippers to our fleet of thousands of trucks, but also improve how they move products in sustainable, cost-efficient, and transparent ways - making the logistics industry fit for the future. In a traditional industry, we’re growing and moving fast to digitally automate all road logistics processes. You can be part of one of Europe’s latest growth stories as we fast-forward road logistics into digitalization.
Get to know us, our culture, green business, funding history, and more on our blog here.
In this role you will
- Scale up our engineering organisation, we have a lot of ideas and we are looking for people to evolve our backend, DevOps, and engineering practices to support the growth and work with many autonomous teams. We welcome new ideas and feedback.
- Participate in migrating our Django monolith to modular architecture and microservices,
- Prototype and develop new major and minor features. We often need strong engineering expertise and sharp original thinking to make the right choices.
- We need your support in growing a solid microservice architecture, we are in the process of introducing service mesh, stable interfaces, and contracts for API, metrics, etc.
- We will regularly ask you to evaluate and adopt new languages, technologies, patterns, and practices,
- Although this role is not AI focussed, if you have an interest in it, you would be able to potentially work within engineering teams that utilise ML to empower our Smart Logistics.
Preferably you are
- Proven with technical leadership qualities, engineers respect you and are willing to listen,
- You have depth. You possess proven expertise in building backends, web services, and distributed systems. We expect you have good experience with Python or at least not be averse to it. We use Django REST Framework, FastAPI, SQLAlchemy, etc.
- Breadth: you worked with more than one language, web frameworks, and databases,
- Good knowledge of and practical experience with different architectures, patterns, and programming paradigms,
- Practical skills with Docker, Kubernetes, and modern CI/CD,
- Good communication skills in English.
We expect you to
- Be mindful about your craft, “keep your saw sharp”, learn ways to improve your work, processes, and remove mundane routine by scripting and automation,
- Be passionate about doing great work, and pragmatic about getting things done
- Be driven by data, build small prototypes to test assumptions, and do not buy into latest hype and shiny labels. Linus Torvalds once said: ”Talking is cheap. Show me the code.”
- Be a decent human being. Be willing to help other people, share your expertise, and mentor.
What you can expect
- A fast-growing company, transitioning from startup to scale-up, where your work will make an impact on our growth and lead to several career opportunities.
- Compensation consisting of base salary, annual bonus and equity options
- An international team of 850+ people with 65+ nationalities spread across 8 country offices with English as our company language.
- A quarterly feedback and review process for personal development. We also use “Objectives and Key Results” for company goals.
- A structured promotion process, providing everyone with fair and transparent career growth.
- Learning and development opportunities on the job and through conversations with your manager.
- Various opportunities to connect with colleagues, formally and informally, digitally or in person (when allowed), through regular team events, company get-togethers, and partnership events with other companies and local organizers.
- When in office: unlimited snacks, drinks, and fruits.
- Compliance with COVID-19 restrictions when required with remote interviews, onboarding, and working.
At sennder, we want to maximize the individual’s potential for all employees and reinforce an inclusive culture and environment of continuous learning that empowers people to succeed as a team. In addition to humility, we value commitment, team spirit, respect, and kindness to build trusted relationships across teams. Learn more on our career site.
Please send your application in English and help us reduce negative unconscious bias by leaving out your picture, age, address, and other unnecessary information in your CV. We only want to know the merits on which you’d be great for this role.
If you have any questions or problems please reach out to us firstname.lastname@example.org. We do not accept applications via email.