sennder, with its HQ located in the heart of Berlin, is changing the way people think about logistics. We’re Europe’s no.1 road freight forwarder with the goal of disrupting and revolutionising this traditional industry. The challenges are huge as many logistics processes and procedures are very manual and inefficient, we’re solving this problem by digitalising and automating to allow for much smoother and more efficient goods transportation. You can learn more about us here and here.
Technology is the backbone of our company, we’ve grown 360% during 2020 and with our recent Series D raise we will see greater scaling during the coming months. With the recent formation of many new teams, we are now looking for proven Technical Leaders who want to take part in paving the way logistics is done in future.
As a Staff Engineer / Senior Software Architect, you will work within one of our core business areas which each have multiple cross functional teams which you’ll embed with. You’ll drive the architectural vision and technical direction, building out roadmaps to increase team velocity and output whilst coaching, teaching and growing our engineers. Reporting to an Engineering Director, you’ll be seen as the Technical Decision Maker for the whole business area and will be given lots of autonomy. Strong leadership skills are a must.
We value strong engineering skills, deep understanding of business, full ownership, high velocity, collaboration, and initiative.
You will work on
We are scaling up our engineering organisation, we have a lot of ideas and we are looking for people to evolve our backend, DevOps, and engineering practices to support the growth and work with many autonomous teams. We welcome new ideas and feedback.
You will participate in migrating our Django monolith to modular architecture and microservices,
- You will prototype and develop new major and minor features. We often need strong engineering expertise and sharp original thinking to make the right choices.
We need your support in growing a solid microservice architecture, we are in the process of introducing service mesh, stable interfaces, and contracts for API, metrics, etc.
- We will regularly ask you to evaluate and adopt new languages, technologies, patterns, and practices,
- Although this role is not AI focussed, if you have an interest in it, you would be able to potentially work within engineering teams that utilise ML to empower our Smart Logistics.
We want to see in you
Proven technical leadership qualities, engineers respect you and are willing to listen,
Depth. You possess proven expertise in building backends, web services, and distributed systems. We expect you have good experience with Python or at least not be averse to it. We use Django REST Framework, FastAPI, SQLAlchemy, etc.
- Breadth: you worked with more than one language, web frameworks, and databases,
- Good knowledge of and practical experience with different architectures, patterns, and programming paradigms,
- Practical skills with Docker, Kubernetes, and modern CI/CD,
- Good communication skills in English.
We expect you to
Be mindful about your craft, “keep your saw sharp”, learn ways to improve your work, processes, and remove mundane routine by scripting and automation,
- Be passionate about doing great work, and pragmatic about getting things done
Be driven by data, build small prototypes to test assumptions, and do not buy into latest hype and shiny labels. Linus Torvalds once said: ”Talking is cheap. Show me the code.”
- Be a decent human being. Be willing to help other people, share your expertise, and mentor.
- Competitive salary
- As a startup, we have flexibility, lack of bureaucracy, you can have great impact and lay foundations of our technological platform,
- As a company with an established business model, we are stable, have real users, provide different options for professional and career development
- Usual employee’s perks: in-house gym, fruits and drinks, team and company events
- We treat people equally regardless of their background, sexual preferences, skin colour, and food tastes
- Flexible working hours and home office.
At sennder we value commitment, team spirit, and your personal and professional development. Our mission is to offer our teams a diverse work environment by fostering a very friendly and supportive atmosphere and an energetic company culture. We enjoy building and nourishing long-lasting friendships across teams and often come together to plan fun events and activities.