We believe in the everyday hero. Those who have the courage to follow their passion and who have the strength and determination to realise their dreams.
Small business owners are at the heart of all we do, so we're creating powerful, easy-to-use financial solutions to help them run their businesses. With a founder’s mentality and a 'team-first’ attitude, our diverse teams across Europe, South America and the United States work together to ensure that small business owners can be successful doing what they love.
SumUp’s Online Payments tribe enables merchants to offer state-of-the-art payment solutions for their online businesses. This tribe plays a key role in working towards SumUp’s vision of operating a 360° full cycle payments solution provider.
As Senior Site Reliability Engineer in this green-field tribe, you'll work with a cross-functional co-leaded team to build tools and infrastructures that help small and mid-sized businesses thrive around the world. By shipping code early and often, you'll see the impact of your work on our merchants’ daily lives right away. You'll collaborate with experts in product, design, and operations to deliver mission-critical internal and external features that power the SumUp ecosystem.
What you’ll do
- Build, maintain and automate world-class infrastructure while delivering high reliability and the best performance possible
- Influence architectural decisions with focus on security, scalability and high-performance
- Ensure systems are secure and compliant with industry best practices
- Pair with both your squad members and engineers in the greater organisation to spread SRE knowledge and best practices
- Engage in service capacity planning and demand forecasting, incident handling, software performance analysis and system-tuning
- Provide thoughtful and comprehensive documentation and testing for your features before shipping them
You’ll be great for this position if
- You have 5+ years’ relevant experience in system engineering in agile, large scale ecosystems, as well as first-hand experience in mentoring.
- You’re an ambassador for communication and collaboration, embracing trust and respect to actively shape a healthy team and feedback culture.
- You have vast experience with transaction processing systems that have high availability/throughput.
- You’re experienced in managing container-based workloads, using Kubernetes or other orchestration software.
- You have expert knowledge in cloud architecture (AWS preferred), using cutting edge DevOps and Infrastructure as Code frameworks and best practices.
- You’re able to code beyond shell and bash scripting and have hands-on exposure in either Golang, Java, Kotlin or Python with a quality-first approach
Why you should join SumUp
We have a dedicated annual budget for attending conferences and advancing your career through further education. We encourage you to speak at conferences and give talks.
You’ll attend a weekly Lunch and Learn session, where the local engineering team exchanges ideas over company-sponsored lunch.
We set aside time every other week for side-projects and open source initiatives.
You’ll attend annual hackathons with the engineering teams from Berlin, Cologne, Sofia and São Paulo.
You’ll be part of a close, welcoming and international community. We get together regularly for brunches, cocktail nights, football, office events, AMA sessions, training, German lessons and yoga classes.
We offer numerous other benefits such as Urban Sports Club subsidy, corporate pension scheme, Kita placement assistance, relocation assistance, 2x per week subsidised office lunches, and a gorgeous place to work in the heart of Berlin at Alexanderplatz.
SumUp is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. SumUp does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, colour, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other basis protected by applicable laws or prohibited by company policy. SumUp also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind.
SumUp will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate.
Want to get more insights about SumUp? Don't miss to visit us on our blog on Medium, or check our social media pages on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.