We believe in the everyday hero. Those who have the courage to follow their passion and who have the strength and determination to realise their dreams.
Small business owners are at the heart of all we do, so we're creating powerful, easy-to-use financial solutions to help them run their businesses. With a founder’s mentality and a 'team-first’ attitude, our diverse teams across Europe, South America and the United States work together to ensure that small business owners can be successful doing what they love.
SumUp’s Online Payments tribe enables merchants to offer state-of-the-art payment solutions for their online businesses. This tribe plays a key role in working towards SumUp’s vision of operating a 360° full cycle payments solution provider.
As Senior Machine Learning Engineer in this green-field tribe, you'll work with a cross functional team and build tools that help small and mid-sized businesses thrive around the world. By shipping code early and often, you'll see the impact of your work on our merchants’ daily lives right away. You'll collaborate with experts in data science, engineering, product, design, and operations to deliver mission-critical internal and external features that power the SumUp ecosystem.
What you’ll do
- Design and build mission critical machine learning systems that are used for fraud detection and numerous other applications.
- You’ll be well versed in machine learning methodologies such as feature engineering, ETL, training, validation and model deployment and monitoring.
- Design, train, and deploy improved models that verify identities of persons and legal entities that wish to onboard SumUp's platform.
- Design text classification systems using deep learning techniques to better understand identification flows.
- Collaborate with our Data Science and risk infrastructure team to build support for new model types.
- Building systems that are able to handle highly complex computationally intensive processes at scale with high reliability and efficiency.
- Becoming an expert in TensorFlow, Kubernetes, Spark, Kafka and other technologies that make up parts of our production ML stack.
You’ll be great for this position if
You enjoy and have 5+ years full time relevant experience in building Machine Learning solutions from strategy to production.
You have relevant industry experience in the digital payment industry, risk management and fraud prevention.
You have a deep understanding of fraud detection, e-commerce payments and the competitive ecosystem at scale.
- You hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems.
- You’re experienced with model training and inference in production and at scale. Image based datasets, pipelines, and neural networks is a plus.
- You thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- You are experienced with deep learning frameworks such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, DyNet or Keras
Why you should join SumUp
We have a dedicated annual budget for attending conferences and advancing your career through further education. We encourage you to speak at conferences and give talks.
You’ll attend a weekly Lunch and Learn session, where the local engineering team exchanges ideas over company-sponsored lunch.
We set aside time every other week for side-projects and open source initiatives.
You’ll attend annual hackathons with the engineering teams from Berlin, Cologne, Sofia and São Paulo.
You’ll be part of a close, welcoming and international community. We get together regularly for brunches, cocktail nights, football, office events, AMA sessions, training, German lessons and yoga classes.
We offer numerous other benefits such as Urban Sports Club subsidy, corporate pension scheme, Kita placement assistance, relocation assistance, 2x per week subsidised office lunches, and a gorgeous place to work in the heart of Berlin at Alexanderplatz.
SumUp is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. SumUp does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, colour, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other basis protected by applicable laws or prohibited by company policy. SumUp also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind.
SumUp will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate.
Want to get more insights about SumUp? Don't miss to visit us on our tech-blog on Medium, or check our social media pages on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.