The mission of SumUp’s Lending Tribe is to provide our small merchants, who are often turned away by financial institutions, with access to capital to grow their businesses.
As a Senior Data Scientist in this green-field tribe, you’ll work with a cross-functional team to bring transparent, affordable and seamless lending products to millions of small merchants across our 30+ markets. You’ll play a leading role in architecting and developing the lending risk platform to provide access to working capital to all of our small merchants while systematically mitigating business and fraud risks for SumUp’s business.
What you’ll do
- Develop and design scalable production level models to enable access to capital for small merchants while maintaining high-risk decision accuracy;
- Research, design, develop and evaluate innovative predictive models to understand the impact of specific behaviours on credit risk;
- Drive the data collection and exploration strategy of existing and new data sources, including bureau data and external data;
- Design, analyse, and interpret the results of experiments with the team;
- Work together with cross-functional teams of engineers, user researchers, product managers, designers and risk managers;
You’ll be great for this position if
- You have 3+ years relevant experience with large data sets and the ability to analyse and build relationships across different data points;
- You have a strong knowledge of statistics and experimental design;
- You have experience with scripting and data analysis programming languages;
- You’re fluent in data ingestion and data warehousing fundamentals;
- You have a background in statistics, applied math, computer science or similar technical discipline;
- You’re fluent in Portuguese and English.
Why you should join SumUp
- We have a dedicated annual budget for attending conferences and advancing your career through further education.
- We encourage you to speak at conferences and give talks.
- Join part of a growing Data Science community within SumUp.
- You’ll attend a weekly Lunch and Learn session, where the local engineering team exchanges ideas over company-sponsored lunch.
- We set aside time biweekly for side-projects and open source initiatives.
- You’ll attend annual hackathons with the engineering teams from Berlin, Cologne, Sofia and São Paulo.
- You’ll be part of a close, welcoming and international community.
- We get together regularly for brunches, cocktail nights, football, office events, AMA sessions, training, German lessons and yoga classes.
- We offer numerous other benefits such as Urban Sports Club subsidy, corporate pension scheme, Kita placement assistance, relocation assistance, 2x per week subsidised office lunches, and a gorgeous place to work in the heart of Berlin at Alexanderplatz.
We believe in the everyday hero.
Small business owners are at the heart of all we do, so we create powerful, easy-to-use financial solutions to help them run their businesses. With a founder’s mentality and a 'team-first’ attitude, our diverse teams across Europe, South America and the United States work together to ensure that the small business owners we partner with can be successful doing what they love.
SumUp is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. SumUp does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, colour, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other basis protected by applicable laws or prohibited by company policy. SumUp also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind.
SumUp will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate.