The mission of SumUp’s Lending Tribe is to provide our small merchants, who are often turned away by financial institutions, with access to capital to grow their businesses.
As a Data Engineering Specialist in this green-field tribe, you’ll work with a cross-functional team to bring transparent, affordable and seamless lending products to millions of small merchants across our 30+ markets. You’ll play a leading role in architecting and developing the lending risk platform to provide access to working capital to all of our small merchants while systematically mitigating business and fraud risks for SumUp’s business.
What you’ll do
- Architect and build the lending risk platform, a mission-critical system responsible to determine our merchants level of access to financial support. Accuracy, quality and uptime are paramount.
- Work within a cross-functional team to deliver and evolve predictive models end-to-end.
- Design, build, and evolve systems and interfaces that enable your team with relevant, usable and reliable data (internal and external) to evolve the models used to predict lending risk.
- Develop interfaces and procedures to make lending risk decisions widely and seamlessly available to internal customers, enabling the financial viability and scalability of an array of financial products within SumUp.
- Work with the data platform engineering team to develop data structures and reliable data pipelines.
- Deepen your knowledge of engineering, ETL, training, validation and model deployment and monitoring
Become an expert in Airflow, Kubernetes, Spark, Datarobot, Kafka and other technologies that make up parts of our production ML stack.
You’ll be great for this position if
- You have 5+ years of relevant experience building large scale data solutions to enable people and systems.
- You’re an expert in data ingestion, scheduling and warehousing fundamentals.
- You have a variety of software development experience - you are proficient with practices like software design patterns, code review, multiple languages and paradigms, DDD, etc.
- Your previous experience within the financial services and banking domain rounds your profile.
Why you should join SumUp
- We have a dedicated annual budget for attending conferences and advancing your career through further education.
- We encourage you to speak at conferences and give talks.
- Join part of a growing Data Science community within SumUp.
- You’ll attend a weekly Lunch and Learn session, where the local engineering team exchanges ideas over company-sponsored lunch.
- We set aside time biweekly for side-projects and open source initiatives.
- You’ll attend annual hackathons with the engineering teams from Berlin, Cologne, Sofia and São Paulo.
- You’ll be part of a close, welcoming and international community.
- We get together regularly for brunches, cocktail nights, football, office events, AMA sessions, training, German lessons and yoga classes.
- We offer numerous other benefits such as Urban Sports Club subsidy, corporate pension scheme, Kita placement assistance, relocation assistance, 2x per week subsidised office lunches, and a gorgeous place to work in the heart of Berlin at Alexanderplatz.
We believe in the everyday hero.
Small business owners are at the heart of all we do, so we create powerful, easy-to-use financial solutions to help them run their businesses. With a founder’s mentality and a 'team-first’ attitude, our diverse teams across Europe, South America and the United States work together to ensure that the small business owners we partner with can be successful doing what they love.
SumUp is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. SumUp does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, colour, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other basis protected by applicable laws or prohibited by company policy. SumUp also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind.
SumUp will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate.