Enabling Better Organizations.Personio is a fast growing HR SaaS start-up based in Munich. It offers a holistic HR and applicant management software designed for companies with 10 to 1000 employees. Personio plays a critical role in making the day-to-day operations of more than 700 HR teams more efficient and transparent. We are a bunch of fun, international people striving to build the leading one-stop HR platform in Europe.
The RoleJoin our Technical Platform tribe as a Senior Backend Engineer and take an active role in shaping our engineering culture and the future of our platform. You will work in an effective, autonomous enablement team, where you will get to play out your dev skills in a high-impact driven environment. You will be responsible for building tools, software components (libraries & microservices) and devops processes to enable our product teams to build, test, deploy and monitor their services, and you’ll take a key role in the migration of our monolith towards a service oriented architecture.
Specific tasks of the Senior Backend Engineer in Personio’s Tech Platform tribe:
- You will identify and implement technical improvements to improve the engineering effectiveness of the department
- You will contribute to improving the overall developer experience - from how services are developed locally to how they are deployed and monitored in our production Kubernetes cluster
- You will contribute to the creation of better metrics, SLOs, dashboards and tools to help product teams make data-driven decisions
- You will create tools to improve the overall performance, reliability and observability of the technical platform
- You will work closely with product teams to support them in the migration of the monolith to a microservices architecture, understand their pain points and propose result-oriented solutions
- You will coach and onboard junior and professional team members
How we work:
- We are transforming our PHP application into Golang and Kotlin microservices!
- We are a product company so our teams are organized in a mission-based cross-functional fashion. You will work in the Tech Platform, alongside other Backend/Devops Engineer, SRE, Security Engineers and QA Engineers
- We have a “you built it, you run it” attitude and CI/CD is our second nature - we use AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, and GitLab to implement it!
What you need to succeed
- What skills you should bring:
- 5+ years of prior software development experience with open source tech stacks and Linux/Unix environments (languages we use: Golang, Kotlin/Java and PHP)
- Experience as a backend/devops engineer with microservice environments, event-driven architectures and resilience patterns. First hand experience with a Service Mesh is a plus
- Experience with containerisation and container orchestration (Docker and Kubernetes preferred) in a cloud environment (AWS preferred)
- Track record of working in an agile setup using CI/CD pipelines, and enabling product teams with better devops processes
- Strong written and spoken English (level C1 on the CEFR scale)
- What motivation and mentality you should bring:
- We want to build a category leader for HR software in Europe. You should bring passion for making the lives of others (in our case: Employees and HR professionals) better
- We are experiencing rapid growth and are “building our plane while flying it”. So bring your agile mindset to the table!
- Embrace feedback - no one is perfect, neither are we. So let’s make this an opportunity to praise and learn from each other
- Proactive problem solver. You are willing to leave code and engineering practices in a better shape than when you first encountered them
- Let’s grow together - share your knowledge, we will share ours!
- Humour. Have fun with us, learn with us from mistakes and bring your good vibes
- Market-proven, well-funded and fast-growing company ($130M funding acquired to date). We’ve enjoyed two record breaking months in June and July this year
- The well-being of our employees is paramount. Although we’ve recently opened our Dublin office in the Docklands area all employees are currently working from home, the office or a combination of the two at their discretion due to Covid-19
- As you are joining Personio at such an early stage, this shows us your trust and confidence in us. We would like you to profit from the success of the company and therefore, we offer a competitive compensation package (salary, benefits and shares).
- MacBook (to work with)
- Generous time off to relax and unwind which includes 26 paid vacations days plus Christmas Eve and New Years Eve
- We enjoy becoming better day by day. You will receive €1,500 towards a learning & development budget every year and one additional day off for your development e.g. to attend a conference, study time etc
- We have fun! Join us for regular team events, e.g. ski trips, visits to the Oktoberfest and much more
- We focus on results rather than schedules - we offer a flexible and remote friendly working environment in general
- Additional benefits to be added as we grow and scale e.g. healthcare and pension by Q1 2021
Personio is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate on the grounds of gender, civil status, family status, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, race or being a member of the traveller community.