Enabling Better Organizations.Personio is a fast growing HR SaaS start-up based in Munich. It offers a holistic HR and applicant management software designed for companies with 10 to 1000 employees. Personio plays a critical role in making the day-to-day operations of more than 700 HR teams more efficient and transparent. We are a bunch of fun, international people striving to build the leading one-stop HR platform in Europe.
The RoleThe Technology Platform Tribe mission is to ensure Personio builds and scales as a high performing engineering organisation. We drive engineering excellence in Personio, for the benefit of our engineers, our product, and our customers by comprising teams dedicated to excellence in specific areas of software engineering. We measure the core metrics of software development delivery and we use them to drive initiatives that enable teams to build, test, deliver, and operate their software to the highest industry standards. This makes our engineers happy and empowered to do great work. Our measurable contribution to the success of Personio lies in empowering engineering excellence positively impacting Product Development and leading to increased customer satisfaction.
Like all our tribes we are a group of engineers from many different nationalities and backgrounds, spread across different locations and we continue to grow in 2021. Join us and help shape the Technology Platform Tribe journey for Personio.
As a Senior Backend Engineer (m/f/d) you will take an active role in shaping our engineering culture and the future of our platform. You will work in an effective, autonomous enablement team, where you will get to play out your dev skills in a high-impact environment. You will be responsible for building tools, software components (libraries & microservices) and devops processes to enable our product teams to build, test, deploy and monitor their services, and you’ll take a key role in the migration of our monolith towards a service oriented architecture.
Specific tasks of the Senior Backend Engineer (m/f/d) in Personio’s Tech Platform tribe:
- You will identify and implement technical improvements to enhance the engineering effectiveness of the department
- You will contribute to improving the overall developer experience - from how services are developed locally to how they are deployed and monitored in our production Kubernetes cluster
- You will contribute to the creation of better metrics, SLOs, dashboards and tools to help product teams make data-driven decisions
- You will create tools to improve the overall performance, reliability and observability of the technical platform
- You will work closely with product teams to support them in the migration of the monolith to a microservices architecture, understand their pain points and propose result-oriented solutions
- You will coach and onboard junior and professional team members
How we work:
- We are transforming our monolith application into Golang and Kotlin microservices!
- We are a product company so our teams are organized in a mission-based cross-functional fashion. You will work in the Tech Platform, alongside other Backend/Devops Engineers, SRE, Security Engineers and QA Engineers
- We have a “you built it, you run it” attitude and CI/CD is our second nature - we use AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, and GitLab to implement it!
What you need to succeed
- What skills you should bring:
- 5+ years of prior software development experience with open source tech stacks and Linux/Unix environments (languages we use: Golang, Kotlin/Java and PHP)
- Experience as a backend/devops engineer with microservice environments, event-driven architectures and resilience patterns. First hand experience with a Service Mesh is a plus
- Experience with containerisation and container orchestration (Docker and Kubernetes preferred) in a cloud environment (AWS preferred)
- Track record of working in an agile setup using CI/CD pipelines, and enabling product teams with better devops processes
- Strong written and spoken English (level C1 on the CEFR scale)
- What motivation and mentality you should bring:
- We want to build a category leader for HR software in Europe. You should bring passion for making the lives of others (in our case: Employees and HR professionals) better
- We are experiencing rapid growth and are “building our plane while flying it”. So bring your agile mindset to the table!
- Embrace feedback - no one is perfect, neither are we. So let’s make this an opportunity to praise and learn from each other
- Proactive problem solver. You are willing to leave code and engineering practices in a better shape than when you first encountered them
- Let’s grow together - share your knowledge, we will share ours!
- Humour. Have fun with us, learn with us from mistakes and bring your good vibes
- As you are joining Personio at such an early stage, this shows us your trust and confidence in us. We would like you to benefit from the success of the company, and therefore, we offer you a competitive compensation package (salary, benefits and virtual shares).
- An inclusive, equal opportunity & multicultural work environment.
- 1,500 Euro annual development budget for attending conferences or courses, buying books, getting a coach etc.
- A high-impact work environment and short decision-making processes.
- Fun team & company events.
- Choose between three mobility options: Unu electric scooter as "company car", a JobRad® or an additional payment for a yearly public transportation ticket.
- Subsidised Qualitrain membership: For 25 euros per month you can train in 90 fitness and yoga studios, swimming pools and many other sports facilities in Munich.
- #SocialResponsibility: We are grateful for our privileges and take action to have a positive impact on the environment and society. Therefore, you will have two extra days to have #Impact: one individual and one supporting a company-wide project!