Senior Backend Engineer
sennder is a European digital freight forwarder looking for Senior Backend Engineers to join our cross functional engineering teams. The roles are based out of our new office in Barcelona, and will report to one of our Engineering Managers. Do you want to help us shape the future of the logistics industry?
If you’re passionate about taking yourself, sennder, and the logistics industry to the next level, curious, and driven by solving puzzles and influencing how we reach our business goals, then you might be who we’re looking for. What others may consider uncertainty, you see as an opportunity to learn and be proactive, while being a team player and understanding how your personal development intersects with the company’s growth.
sennder is Europe’s leading digital freight forwarder at the intersection of where technology meets logistics. Through our proprietary transportation operating system, built by our in-house tech teams, we not only connect shippers to our fleet of thousands of trucks, but also improve how they move products in sustainable, cost-efficient, and transparent ways - making the logistics industry fit for the future. In a traditional industry, we’re growing and moving fast to digitally automate all road logistics processes. You can be part of one of Europe’s latest growth stories as we fast-forward road logistics into digitalization. Technology is the backbone of our company, we’ve grown 360% during 2020 and with our recent Series D raise we will see greater scaling during the coming months.
Get to know us, our culture, green business, funding history, and more on our blog here.
In this role you will
- Scale up our engineering organization, we have a lot of ideas and we are looking for people to evolve our backend, DevOps, and engineering practices to support the growth and work in many autonomous teams. We welcome new ideas!
- Prototype and build new features, update existing ones, and fix bugs.
- Participate in migrating our Django monolith to modular architecture and microservices,
- Participate in growing a solid microservice architecture, we are in the process of introducing service mesh, stable interfaces, and contracts for API, metrics, etc.,
- We will do our best to help you grow professionally, provide you with mentorship and feedback.
Preferably you are
- You have a good practical experience (5+ years) building backends with the Python web ecosystem. We use Django REST Framework, FastAPI, SQLAlchemy.
- You can talk to SQL databases. We use Postgres in our monolith and microservices.
- You learned how to build modern APIs. For example, you worked with REST, GraphQL. and documented them with OpenAPI (Swagger).
- You keep growing your knowledge of different architectures, patterns, and programming paradigms,
- Practical skills with Docker, Kubernetes, and modern CI/CD,
- Good communication skills in English.
We expect you to
- Be mindful about your craft, “keep your saw sharp”, learn ways to improve your work, processes, and remove mundane routine by scripting and automation,
- Be passionate about doing great work, and pragmatic about getting things done
- Be driven by data, build small prototypes to test assumptions, and do not buy into the latest hype and shiny labels. Linus Torvalds once said: ”Talking is cheap. Show me the code.”
- Be a decent human being. Be willing to help other people, share your expertise, and mentor.
What you can expect
- A fast-growing company, transitioning from startup to scale-up, where your work will make an impact on our growth and lead to several career opportunities.
- Compensation consisting of base salary, annual bonus and equity options
- An international team of 900+ people with 65+ nationalities spread across 8 country offices with English as our company language.
- A quarterly feedback and review process for personal development. We also use “Objectives and Key Results” for company goals.
- A structured promotion process, providing everyone with fair and transparent career growth.
- Learning and development opportunities on the job and through conversations with your manager.
- Various opportunities to connect with colleagues, formally and informally, digitally or in person (when allowed), through regular team events, company get-togethers, and partnership events with other companies and local organizers.
- When in office: unlimited snacks, drinks, and fruits.
- Compliance with COVID-19 restrictions when required with remote interviews, onboarding, and working.
At sennder, we want to maximize the individual’s potential for all employees and reinforce an inclusive culture and environment of continuous learning that empowers people to succeed as a team. In addition to humility, we value commitment, team spirit, respect, and kindness to build trusted relationships across teams. Learn more on our career site.
Please send your application in English and help us reduce negative unconscious bias by leaving out your picture, age, address, and other unnecessary information in your CV. We only want to know the merits on which you’d be great for this role.
If you have any questions or problems please reach out to us firstname.lastname@example.org. We do not accept applications via email.