Staff Backend Engineer
If you aren't completely confident that you fit our exact criteria, please reach out anyways. Humility is a wonderful thing - we're at least as interested in your character as in your talent.
At sennder, we focus on automating and the digitalising of all road logistics. Today, we are Europe's leading freight forwarder offering access to our fleet of thousands of trucks to shippers. Technology is the backbone of our company, we are scaling up fast, and we are looking for talented engineers who want to take part in paving the way logistics is done in future.
As a Staff Backend Engineer, you will work in our HQ in the heart of Berlin in one of our autonomous teams. We value strong engineering skills, deep understanding of business, full ownership, high velocity, collaboration, and initiative.
You will work on
- We are scaling up our engineering organisation, we have a lot of ideas and we are looking for people to evolve our backend, DevOps, and engineering practices to support the growth and work in many autonomous teams. We welcome new ideas and feedback.
- You will participate in migrating our Django monolith to modular architecture and microservices,
- You will prototype and develop new major and minor features. We often need strong engineering expertise and sharp original thinking to make the right choices.
- We need your support in growing a solid microservice architecture, we are in the process of introducing service mesh, stable interfaces, and contracts for API, metrics, etc.
- We will regularly ask you to evaluate and adopt new languages, technologies, patterns, and practices,
- Although this role is not AI focussed, if you have an interest in it, you would be able to potentially work within engineering teams that utilise ML to empower our Smart Logistics.
We want to see in you
- Depth: you possess a sound expertise in building backends, web services, and distributed systems. We expect you have mastered building backends with popular ecosystems like Python, Ruby, Go, Java, or Scala. We use the Python ecosystem (Django REST Framework, FastAPI, SQLAlchemy, etc.) and practical experience in these tools is preferable, but not strictly required.
- Breadth: you worked with more than one language, web frameworks, and database,
- Good knowledge of and practical experience with different architectures, patterns, and programming paradigms,
- Practical skills with Docker, Kubernetes, and modern CI/CD,
- Good communication skills in English.
We expect you to
Be mindful about your craft, “keep your saw sharp”, learn ways to improve your work, processes, and remove mundane routine by scripting and automation,
- Be passionate about doing great work, and pragmatic about getting things done
Be driven by data, build small prototypes to test assumptions, and do not buy into latest hype and shiny labels. Linus Torvalds once said: ”Talking is cheap. Show me the code.”
- Be a decent human being. Be willing to help other people, share your expertise, and mentor.
- Competitive salary,
- As a startup, we have flexibility, lack of bureaucracy, you can have great impact and lay foundations of our technological platform,
- As a company with an established business model, we are stable, have real users, provide different options for professional and career development,
- Usual employee’s perks: in-house gym, fruits and drinks, team and company events,
- We treat people equally regardless of their background, sexual preferences, skin colour, and food tastes
- Flexible working hours and home office.
We are looking forward to your application!