Passionate to eat better, Infarm was founded in Berlin in 2013 by Osnat Michaeli and the brothers Erez and Guy Galonska. With the aim to share the goodness of own-grown produce with everyone, they developed a smart modular farming system, that allows distribution of farms throughout the urban environment, growing fresh produce in any available space and fulfilling any market demand.
Today, with cutting edge R&D, patented technologies, and a leading multi-disciplinary team, Infarm is growing a global farming network helping cities become self-sufficient in their food production while significantly improving the safety, quality, and environmental footprint of our food.
Be part of the Infarm (r)evolution and help people to take back ownership of their food.
The Head of Industrial Engineering will be responsible for identifying and integrating advanced automation solutions into our operational workflows, ensuring the layout of our hubs is optimized, and designing processes to be rolled out across our global network that help us grow our plants in the most efficient way.
Who you are
- You're excited about our vision to reshape the food industry.
- You believe diversity, collaboration and teamwork are key drivers for success.
- You thrive in an environment where you can take ownership and solve hard problems.
- You love a challenge and want to do well while doing good.
- You want to expand your horizons and grow with us as we grow.
- Full ownership for industrializing all operational activities within our high tech vertical farming hubs to drive profitability
- Develop automation roadmap for key processes in partnership with R+D teams
- Establish and validate labour cost progression, payback model and scale triggers
- Carry out robust trial and testing procedures with machinery manufacturers to validate performance
- Manage sourcing, installation and commissioning of machinery at Berlin production facility alongside site operations teams, and troubleshoot any technical issues.
- Develop and test user-centric workflows for new machinery and create operational documentation for these that can be trained out across infarm’s global network
- Design factory layout playbook that can be implemented in new sites across the world, and sign off on how it’s executed for each site. Create optimized utilization of space, reduced capital requirements and simplicity of labour management
- Partner with procurement team to negotiate pricing and contracts for identified new machinery items
- Develop efficient integrations and interfaces between different pieces of machinery and manual processes
- Work alongside software teams on the digitization of workflows and data collection from operational processes
- Collaborate with programme management and marketing teams on new packaging and product initiatives, developing automation and rollout plans to aid these
- Drive continuous improvement process in existing hubs, to drive performance and identify future projects
- Set up Berlin production facility as a best practice trial site ahead of wider global rollouts.
- Proven experience of designing and commissioning automated manufacturing lines, able to demonstrate how you have lead the process from conception through commissioning and into run and optimization
- Significant experience in industrial engineering within regulated environments operating to Global GAP Food standards or related (e.g. Pharma/Aerospace etc)
- People management experience of 3+ direct reports preferred
- Able to provide examples of managing a portfolio of projects across multiple international locations where automation has been implemented
- Expert in helping an organisation to identify when, where and how to implement successful automations; able to provide multiple examples across a range of different applications and locations ideally specific to the food industry
- Proven experience in collaborating with design teams, equipment providers and internal operations/manufacturing teams throughout the lifecycle of design to commissioning to running and optimisation
- Highly proficient in process optimisation methodologies as well as 3D modelling to visualise and iterate designs, with expertise in SolidWorks or similar packages
- Proven experience in supporting the communication and change management associated to the implementation of automation within existing sites and their stakeholders
What we offer
- The opportunity to join Infarm as we expand across the globe and help change the future of farming
- The ability to drive impact and be a true partner to the business, working closely with top-level managers
- A friendly work environment with a diverse group of motivated, talented, and visionary colleagues
- 30 days of vacation plus an extra day off on your birthday
- Monthly BVG ticket
- Fresh herbs to take home
- Lunch provided 3 days a week in the Berlin HQ
- Coffee, tea, fresh and healthy snacks and Friday drinks when in the Berlin HQ!
Infarm is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to grow an inclusive environment, where everyone can thrive, regardless of your background and circumstances. We nurture diversity because we appreciate the uniqueness and differences between people. Each employee’s distinctive experiences, perspectives, and viewpoints helps us build a resilient environment, where we can all learn, grow, and create great things together. All applicants are given equal opportunity regardless of age, gender identity or expression, language, disability, ethnic origin, national origin, religion, belief, culture, socio-economic status, or sexual orientation.