We are heycar.
heycar wants to change the way customers find and buy their next car. We are a fast-growing start-up in the center of Berlin that strives to break up the car buying market. We do this by explicitly focusing on vehicle, dealer and service quality. We are heavily user-centric and invest in applying cutting-edge technologies in order to become a leader in our space. We have established an independent, agile and deeply entrepreneurial culture whilst being backed by major automotive players. Our team of highly motivated digital experts is embracing the opportunity of challenging our market’s status quo.
As the Head of Engineering you will be a guardian of the technology stack and engineering teams within the Group to bring about serious change within heycar. You will drive establishing and maintaining a scalable and robust platform for our international growth across Europe. You will be the line manager of multiple engineering managers, who run our central and country teams. We are growing rapidly as we expand into new markets and need your leadership and enthusiasm to scale our tech stack and teams. You’ll get to exercise your leadership, management skills and entrepreneurial spirit to enhance collaboration with creative, commercial and product teams.
You will be working closely with the CTO and CPO to ensure cross squad synchronization, prioritization and ideation on technical architecture and feature requirements.
Who we are looking for.
- 3+ years of experience as a team leader or engineering manager, 8+ years of being a developer or specialist in a technology area. As well as a good understanding of cloud-based infrastructure, containerization and security best practices
- Having worked in an agile delivery environment, ideally with an international platform, as a two-sided marketplace
- Team Player: you view software delivery as a collaborative effort
- Problem Solving: ability to break down and prioritize tasks, whilst asking clarifying questions and anticipating delivery issues
- Foresight: the ability to see problems and challenges before they arise, and convey them to non-technical parties
- Planning & Oversight: Understand technical dependencies and requirements, while planning what can be done by the team concurrently and sequentially
- Communication: Being a good listener and communicator with all of us in tech and the wider business
- Diplomacy: Pushing back when needed and accepting fate when you can't fight the tide, the tide being the business and its hungry needs
What you will do.
- Team responsibilities, staff development and organizational structure recommendations, mentoring and assisting planning rounds.
- Lead the technology and infrastructure stack including technical design, ideation, deployments to automation, performance optimization and new feature development
- Develop and maintain current and planned architectural vision and target picture
- Define what gets made by working closely with stakeholders within the organization to ensure heycar is ready to thrive
- Work closely with the engineering and the product team, especially the CTO, Engineering Managers, Product Owners & Dev-Ops / SRE team to keep front, back and infrastructure in sync
- Drive our quarterly road mapping efforts (planning, goals and targets for the engineering team)
- Troubleshoot with the team to mitigate any infrastructure incidents to achieve optimal application security and stability
- Drive the continuous improvement of the codebase and platform to optimize performance and bring new innovative solutions for our customers and partners
- Manage stakeholders and counterparts in other markets, producing reports for the Leadership Team
What we have to offer.
- The best mix between corporate and start-up culture
- An experienced international team of brand and start-up pros who truly make a difference
- Working with state-of-the-art technology
- Company bike
- Pilates classes, mental health support from our partners at nilo.health and virtual team events and DIY home projects during the pandemic
- Modern office design with a huge roof terrace in the heart of Wedding - 30 seconds from the Leopoldplatz tube stop (we timed it)
- Friday drinks, doing sports together, team lunch and much more
- A wide selection of beverages (healthy and not so healthy), snacks (only not so healthy) and fruit
Are you interested in helping to shape the mobility market of tomorrow? If yes - we look forward to hearing from you! Your point of contact is Fiona von Eitzen.