We’re looking for a Engineering Manager to join our Growth Squad to drive our growth stream with a lean experimentation approach.
This role sits within the Merchant Bank Tribe, who are responsible for building, growing & supporting SumUp’s new banking products. The Growth Squad is a cross functional team, responsible for optimizing the customer funnel across acquisition, activation, and retention growth rates. Together with the marketing team, the growth squad will define strategies to increase the adoption and usage of SumUp’s banking products, and validate these strategies through regular experimentation. This team's core capability is data-driven rapid experimentation to identify winners that ultimately drive our business success. If you’re excited about giving small businesses access to the banking services they deserve, we’d love to hear from you.
What you’ll do
- Drive hiring and onboarding of the team
- Help the team to optimise their value delivery
- Foster and improve engineering practices and techniques
- Keep using your engineering skills by staying hands on technical challenges alongside the engineering team
- Coach engineers in designing and planning feature implementations
- Provide design feedback to enable team autonomy and a scalable and maintainable code base
- Provide code review feedback, considering both style and implementation
- Use regular 1:1 to support your team through their career growth, looking for opportunities where they can find new challenges
- Engage and improve our engineering culture by driving team strengthening activities, such as offsites, hackathons, cross-team projects, and knowledge sharing sessions.
You’ll be great for this role if
- You have 7+ years of experience as a Software Engineer
- You understand the importance of cross-functional team spirit vs. traditional expert-based organizations
- You have a solid CS background and experience in a software engineering management role
- You have a proven track record in building high performing teams
- You’re self-motivated and proactive, with great English communication skills
- You understand fundamental design principles, data modeling and API design
- You have experience with a relational database, preferably PostgreSQL
- You were exposed to microservices, containers and relevant runtimes
- Solid debugging, optimisation and problem-solving skills
Why you should join SumUp
- A dedicated annual budget for attending conferences and advancing your career through further education. We encourage you to speak at conferences and give talks
- Weekly Lunch and Learn session, where the local engineering team exchanges ideas over company-sponsored lunch
- Dedicated time every other week for side-projects and open source initiatives
- Annual hackathons, where the engineering teams from Berlin, Cologne, Sofia, and São Paulo gather together
- We have a close, welcoming and international community. We get together regularly for brunches, cocktail nights, football, office events, AMA sessions, training, German classes, and yoga classes
- Numerous other benefits such as Urban Sports Club subsidy, Corporate Pension Scheme, Kita placement assistance, relocation assistance, 2x per week subsidized office lunches, and a gorgeous place to work in the heart of Berlin at Alexanderplatz
We believe in the everyday hero.
Small business owners are at the heart of all we do, so we create powerful, easy-to-use financial solutions to help them run their businesses. With a founder’s mentality and a 'team-first’ attitude, our diverse teams across Europe, South America and the United States work together to ensure that the small business owners we partner with can be successful doing what they love.
SumUp is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. SumUp does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, colour, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other basis protected by applicable laws or prohibited by company policy. SumUp also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind.
SumUp will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate.