We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to join our new Global Expansion and Acquiring Tribe, whose goal is to launch and scale new markets on a global scale (LATAM, APAC, EMEA etc). Our team is in charge of defining strategy and delivering products and services for those targeted markets.
We leverage all products features built within SumUp and adjust and localise them for new markets using our acquiring and banking partners – from a merchant’s first user experience in our app, to making their first sale, to getting their first payout. The engineering expansion squad in the Tribe focuses on making that experience seamless, intuitive, and hassle-free.
SumUp currently offers our products and services in over 30 countries around the world. Country expansion is one of our success factors and a pillar in our growth strategy. If you’re excited about empowering small business owners around the world, we’d love to hear from you.
What you’ll do
- Foster and improve engineering practices and techniques
- Keep using your engineering skills by staying hands-on with technical challenges alongside the engineering team
- Coach engineers in designing and planning feature implementations
- Provide design feedback to enable team autonomy and a scalable codebase
- Give code review feedback, considering both style and implementation
- Participate in API design and implementation for both internal APIs and those exposed to our third-party integrator
- Use regular 1:1 to support your team through their career growth, looking for opportunities where they can find new challenges
- Set early expectations with team members around their performance and behaviour in a team setting
- Engage and improve our engineering culture by driving team strengthening activities, such as offsites, hackathons, cross-team projects, and knowledge sharing sessions
- Participate in hiring and onboarding of engineers
You’ll be great for this role if
- You have 7+ years of experience as a Software Engineer.
- You understand the importance of cross-functional team spirit vs. traditional expert-based organisations.
- You have a solid experience in a software engineering management role.
- You have a proven track record in building high performing teams.
- You’re self-motivated and proactive, with great English communication skills.
- You understand fundamental design principles, data modelling and API design.
Why you should join SumUp
- A dedicated annual budget for attending conferences and advancing your career through further education. We encourage you to speak at conferences and give talks
- Weekly Lunch and Learn session, where the local engineering team exchanges ideas over company-sponsored lunch
- Dedicated time every other week for side-projects and open source initiatives
- Annual hackathons, where the engineering teams from Berlin, Cologne, Sofia, and São Paulo gather together
- We have a close, welcoming and international community. We get together regularly for brunches, cocktail nights, football, office events, AMA sessions, training, German classes, and yoga classes
- Numerous other benefits such as Urban Sports Club subsidy, Corporate Pension Scheme, Kita placement assistance, relocation assistance, 2x per week subsidized office lunches, and a gorgeous place to work in the heart of Berlin at Alexanderplatz
We believe in the everyday hero.
Small business owners are at the heart of all we do, so we create powerful, easy-to-use financial solutions to help them run their businesses. With a founder’s mentality and a 'team-first’ attitude, our diverse teams across Europe, South America and the United States work together to ensure that the small business owners we partner with can be successful doing what they love.
SumUp is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. SumUp does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, colour, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other basis protected by applicable laws or prohibited by company policy. SumUp also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind.
SumUp will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate.