sennder, with its HQ located in the heart of Berlin, is changing the way people think about logistics. We’re Europe’s no.1 road freight forwarder with the goal of disrupting and revolutionising this traditional industry. The challenges are huge as many logistics processes and procedures are very manual and inefficient, we’re solving this problem by digitalising and automating to allow for much smoother and more efficient goods transportation. You can learn more about us here and watch our sennOS Vision Video here.
Fresh from our Series D raise we are now looking for an Engineering Director to lead Engineering capabilities within one of our core business areas and help us realise our development objectives. You will define and deliver our technology roadmap, foster innovation and allow our multi-disciplinary teams to deliver on our mission.
Our engineering teams build user experiences that disrupt the logistics market. You will guide a team of Engineering Managers that work across our key business areas, and in turn build solutions in full-stack feature teams to be able to solve all the engineering challenges that come with scale and the complexity of the logistics business. We trust and support each other and encourage our engineers to connect together with regular knowledge sharing sessions as well as being transparent and open with our company vision in regular tech all hands.
Autonomy is embraced throughout the whole tech org, we trust and support each other and encourage our people to connect together with regular knowledge sharing sessions as well as being transparent and open with our company vision in regular tech all hands. We look for leaders that can inspire and phrase the mission for their engineering managers and teams to build, grow and guide. You foster collaboration, inspire by example and thrive in a fast-paced environment whilst providing technology vision and strategy to help teams execute to the best potential. This role is reporting directly into the CTO.
Your challenge will be:
- Build, grow and guide a team of engineering managers leading different pods
- Build and mentor the sennder International engineering team by driving engineering quality and excellence while also building out a vibrant and productive engineering culture.
- Oversee the International Growth engineering organization, including technical strategy, architecture and best practices & technology stacks.
- Help create a vision for the future of sennder’s global Engineering, and collaborate with partners and stakeholders across sennder to move this vision forward.
- Develop a deep understanding of our technology stack in order to provide hands-on technical direction to the engineering team, and work closely with UX, Product, and Growth.
- Adopt state of the art software engineering practises, frameworks, and systems design in order to build world-class tools for sennder
- Drive external and internal hiring as well as developing our engineering talent into new challenges and roles.
- Support employees in their career development and personal growth
- Set the technology vision and architectural direction for your business areas and execute against that vision and agreed on target state.
- Apply pragmatic solutions, find the right tradeoffs and seek to reduce complexity to help teams deliver and increase leverage for the organization.
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices and help develop and evangelize great engineering and organizational practices.
- Create a healthy culture of collaboration and inclusion, inspire by example inline with the engineering and company values where people can fulfill their potential and actively manage performance.
- Hire and retain top talent in the industry; inspire the organization by exceeding expectations of customers, stakeholders, and product and engineering teams
To get there you will need:
- You have been a software engineer and an Engineering Manager, directing the build of user-focused products at pace
- Your style is collaborative and supportive to encourage an organisation to continually optimise their code
- Experience building a world-class engineering team by hiring, nurturing, and retaining the best talent
- You can communicate big ideas to varied audiences, and you know how to lead on strategy
- Be a promoter of a data-driven approach to engineering, focused on delivering meaningful end-user improvements and value aligned with the business objectives.
- Outstanding experience establishing engineering best practices to maximise return on investment. Integrate software development methodologies where appropriate (eg. prototyping, agile development, test-driven development, fail-fast proof points, and launch & iterate).
- Experience maintaining strong relationships with other core functions across the company (Product Management, AI, UX...up to the People Operations and Finance departments) to align strategic goals with engineering initiatives.
What we will be offering:
- A successful startup in its hyper-growth phase
- An atmosphere of continuous learning and improvement, including brown bag sessions and every second Friday for projects of your choice
- Structured promotion process in order to give everyone the same chance to grow
- Structured regular feedback process enabling personal development
- A modern office in the heart of Berlin with coffee, free beverages, and a gym
- Countless opportunities to connect within and outside of work with regular team events and trips, partnership events with other companies and local organizers
- Regular home office and flexible working
- An attractive financial package
At sennder we value commitment, team spirit, and your personal and professional development. Our mission is to offer our teams a diverse work environment by fostering a very friendly and supportive atmosphere and an energetic company culture. We enjoy building and nourishing long-lasting friendships across teams and often come together to plan fun events and activities.