SumUp enables merchants to offer state-of-the-art payment solutions for their online businesses. You’ll be supporting Financial Crime as well as the wider Compliance team in solving the intricacies of risk mitigation and will play a key role in working towards SumUp’s vision of operating a 360° full-cycle payments solution provider.
As a Data Scientist in this green-field tribe, you´ll work with a cross-functional team and build tools that help small and mid-sized businesses thrive around the world. By shipping code early and often, you´ll see the impact of your work on our merchants’ daily lives right away. You´ll collaborate with experts in compliance, data science, engineering, product, design, and operations to deliver mission-critical internal and external features that power the SumUp ecosystem.
What you’ll do
- Design and build business relevant science data solutions and mission-critical machine learning systems that are used for financial crime prevention and detection.
- Deepen your knowledge of machine learning methodologies such as feature engineering, ETL, training, validation and model deployment and monitoring.
- In order to better understand identification flows you might work on models to verify the identities of persons and legal entities that wish to onboard SumUp's platform.
- Collaborate with our Data Science and risk infrastructure team to build support for new model types.
- Build new or optimize existing systems that are able to handle highly complex computationally intensive processes at scale with high reliability and efficiency, as well as strengthen the workflow, case management and reporting capabilities of the respective
- You will have the opportunity to develop your skills in TensorFlow, Kubernetes, Spark, Kafka and other technologies that make up parts of our production ML stack.
You’ll be great for this position if
- You have 5+ years of relevant experience building business relevant science data applications, effectively translating business requirements into data-driven solutions.
- You have experience in building machine learning systems in line with business context.
- You have a strong knowledge of statistics and experimental design (A/B testing).
- You have experience with scripting and data analysis programming languages and are comfortable with analysing and making recommendations for improving, optimizing existing solutions as well as ensuring efficient reporting via tools like Tableau.
- You’re fluent in working with long relational and non relational databases using AHS and SQL.
- You have a background in statistics, applied math, computer science or similar technical discipline.
- Your previous experience within the financial services and banking domain rounds your profile.
Why you should join SumUp
- We’re a truly global team of 200+ people from 60+ countries, spread across 3 continents.
- We get together regularly for breakfasts, team events, office parties and sports.
- You’ll receive a budget for attending conferences and external training.
- We offer a corporate pension scheme, 28 days’ paid leave, free German and yoga classes, subsidised Urban Sports Club membership and other great benefits.
- We offer visa and relocation support for you, your family and even your pets.
- You’ll be based in the heart of Berlin, one of Europe’s leading tech hubs and most vibrant cities.
We believe in the everyday hero.
Small business owners are at the heart of all we do, so we create powerful, easy-to-use financial solutions to help them run their businesses. With a founder’s mentality and a 'team-first’ attitude, our diverse teams across Europe, South America and the United States work together to ensure that the small business owners we partner with can be successful doing what they love.
SumUp is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. SumUp does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, colour, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other basis protected by applicable laws or prohibited by company policy. SumUp also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind.
SumUp will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate.