Clue helps everyone who menstruates to understand their bodies—and to be empowered by that knowledge. Our vision is to enable women and people with cycles to live in tune with their biology, not in spite of it.
Founded by Ida Tin, Clue is a VC-backed startup based in Berlin helping over 12 million people each month get insights into their reproductive health via our Android and iOS apps. We collaborate with world-leading universities and institutes to advance female health research with our dataset, and deliver essential education about health, periods, and sex via our website, helloclue.com.
Clue is looking for a CTO to join the management team and be the technical voice representing the Engineering team. To take the company to the next level and scale our user base from 16 million monthly active visitors/users globally to 150 million, this person should bring the expertise and experience to build a best-in-class technology product and team. Our users trust us with their most sensitive data, and this person must take on the challenge of scaling Clue and building compelling and innovative products that never compromise on security or performance.
Clue is at a pivotal and exciting point in our journey. With 12 million monthly active users in our iOS and Android apps alone, we are building out our platform and team to support our continued success. We are monetizing the product, but have also received >$30 million in funding from top tier firms, such as Union Square Ventures, Mosaic Ventures, and Nokia Ventures. The company has already received much attention from TechCrunch, Forbes and other tier 1 press.
Set the Technical Direction
- Lead a team of 25 engineers, translating the executive vision for the company into execution. Partner with product in strategy, planning, and design.
- Own the technical strategy by facilitating technical decisions with tech leads to create a cohesive and scalable architecture that:
- Ensures appropriate handling of Clue’s user data and network security
- Scales the client architecture (iOS, Android, web) to allow for performance and execution velocity
- Scales the backend architecture (Kotlin, Node.js micro-services, PostgresSQL, AWS, RabbitMQ)
- Know when to build smart for scalability, quality, and excellence and when to build fast for learning and iteration. Ideally, build for both.
- Represent the Engineering team to leadership and vice versa.
- Communicate decisions transparently.
- Instill the focus needed to drive projects to completion, and manage the team through necessary changes. Partner with Product to scope and prioritize projects to maximize for user impact and learning.
- Develop best practices, processes, and engineering principles/standards to guide our work and enable the team to collaborate while ensuring coherence and consistency across all platforms and sub-teams.
- Interface with internal and external stakeholders, contractors and partners, defining goals and ensuring accountability.
Build the Team
- Attract and hire top talent.
- Develop and grow talent already on the team.
- Create a culture of regular and constructive feedback.
- Help individuals identify strengths and weaknesses and support them in their personal and professional growth.
- Coach team members on defining career goals and mentor/coach them on how to create an action plan for achieving those goals.
- Create the operational structures necessary to career advancement.
- Resolve team conflicts where needed.
- Manage a multicultural team with care.
Steer the Engineering Culture
- Clue is a values-based and mission-driven company. The CTO should reinforce this culture, care about our users, and care about the team.
- Cultivate good software practices, methodologies, and a data-driven and MVP-driven mindset.
- Champion diversity and inclusivity, and be aware of unconscious bias.
- Celebrate wins, recognize and appreciate regularly. Give credit, own mistakes. Create safety to take the risks necessary for innovation and delivering user impact.
- Encourage sharing and learning from each other.
- Make it fun!
- You have experience recruiting, managing, coaching and developing developers at all stages of their careers.
- You have experience architecting data-driven and scalable infrastructure in machine learning and mobile.
- You have worked in high-change, fast-paced start-up environments.
- You’ve led agile and iterative teams and leveraged experimentation and iterative development.
- You have an appetite for building quality technology in a regulated environment - including working within a QMS, keeping on top of data security best practice, and working creatively within medical device regulatory constraints and GDPR.
- You have worked in a company in a regulated industry giving you a good sense of how to keep an engineering team both agile and compliant with quality management processes.
- Your personal engineering brand attracts former teammates and peers.
- An additional plus is experience in real-time sync, business intelligence, MedTech.
- Passion for female health is a must. You are value-based and mission-driven. You care about Clue’s mission and you have a deep desire to contribute to its global impact and success.
- Good writer and clear communicator
- You don’t believe in command and control. Instead, you create autonomy and accountability.
- You are curious and you like to solve problems.
- Hands on, with a natural sense of responsible urgency, fosters a high energy environment that values rapid delivery.
- Brilliant analytical skills and ability to consistently deliver positive ROI; Quantitative thinker, very analytical and data driven problem-solving ability.
- Great personal initiative and self-starter mentality; needs the ability to thrive in a rapidly changing, fast-paced entrepreneurial environment
No need to be a German speaker. English is the language of the business at Clue, and commonly spoken in Berlin. The team is very international and supportive throughout the relocation process, if you will be relocating.
- We look forward to seeing your resume, but especially to reading your cover letter!
We believe personal growth is essential for professional growth which is why we offer all the standard benefits, plus some that are uniquely Clue.
Care for your body and mind with free weekly yoga and a free on-site coaching.
Work your way in our child-friendly and dog-friendly office. We’ll help with relocation if you’re not already in Berlin.
Five weeks of paid vacation each year, a competitive salary and the option to join the company pension plan.
Clue is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect, where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and team members. Our users are global and multicultural—and we want our team to reflect this. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us.
For the time being, while there is a risk of Covid-19 infections, Clue operates as a remote-first company.