As a Principal Backend Engineer in the Online Store team, you will be working on initiatives aimed at helping our merchants grow their business by selling their products online to more customers.
Working across multiple cross-functional teams, you’ll play a key part in helping provide a best way of selling online that helps ambitious independents merchants everywhere to start and grow their online businesses. We are building an integrated ecosystem of products such as point of sale, online store, invoicing & accounting and enabling merchants to seamlessly access all products within one powerful mobile app.
As a Principal Backend Engineer you will lead the ideas, design and development along-side other engineers and will be the go-to engineering expert for engineers from multiple teams. You will help to define how we migrate from an old monolithic PHP codebase to a new microservices based architecture that is scalable and aligned with our ambitious growth plans. If this unique opportunity to shape and build SumUp’s Online Store offering sounds like an interesting challenge, then maybe this is the role for you?
What you will do in this Principal Engineer role;
- Ensuring that architectural solutions meet technical and functional requirements.
- Lead the re-architecture of our solutions to more scalable technologies such Kotlin and NodeJS
- Ensure that we are planned for scale and extensibility such as having appropriate API designs/structure which enable us to build features as scalable microservices.
Reviewing existing system and software architecture and recommending improvements and participating in engineering reviews to determine any ambiguities.
- Mentor and train other team members on design techniques, scalable solutions and coding standards. Your engineering experience will help you advise teams on potential pitfalls, whether scalability, maintenance or divergence from the general engineering strategy.
- Be a driver/sponsor of cross-squad or cross-tribe concerns, identifying common problems and leading the implementation of solutions and infrastructure.
You’ll be great for this Principal Engineer role if;
- You have previous experience in a similar role with 7+ years hands on coding commercially
- Experience with scalable programming languages such as Kotlin or Node.js
- You understand the importance of cross-functional team spirit vs. traditional expert-based organisations.
- You understand the challenges associated with migrating software from monolith to distributed microservices
- You have experience with distributed systems and architecture, and systems integration
- You understand fundamental design principles, data modeling and API design.
- You are motivated by growth and enjoy the journey of bringing a product to more users globally
Why work at SumUp?
- A dedicated annual L&D budget for attending conferences and advancing your career through further education.
- You’ll have the opportunity to work in Berlin, Copenhagen, Warsaw or Kyiv with extensive relocation support and remote opportunities.
- The opportunity to work on large scale fintech products used by millions of businesses around the world
- Dedicated time every other week for side-projects and open source initiatives as well as a yearly hackathon.
- Numerous other benefits such as Urban Sports Club subsidy, Corporate Pension Scheme, Kita placement assistance, relocation assistance, subsidized office lunches.
SumUp is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. SumUp does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, colour, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other basis protected by applicable laws or prohibited by Company policy. SumUp also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind.